The Vice President, Compliance Audit is responsible for the leadership of the compliance audit function. The Compliance Audit function supports health and safety and compliance leadership and provides support to management and staff of the various facilities within Company operating groups, including auditing the regulatory compliance performance of facilities and reporting findings to senior regulatory affairs, legal, and executive management, as necessary, working with senior management in operations, compliance and health and safety to communicate best management practice (BMP) requirements and improve regulatory compliance in order to achieve the Corporate “Zero Deficiency” goal, designing and implementing a comprehensive compliance assurance program in accordance with Federal, state, local, and provincial laws and company policies and procedures.
Will consider candidates in Norwell, MA, Houston, TX and Dallas, TX.
Why work for Clean Harbors?
- Health and Safety is our #1 priority and we live it 3-6-5!
- Competitive wages
- Comprehensive health benefits coverage after 30 days of full-time employment
- Group 401K with company matching component
- Generous paid time off, company paid training and tuition reimbursement
- Positive and safe work environments
- Opportunities for growth and development for all the stages of your career
- Ensures Health and Safety is the number one goal by following policies, processes, and acting in a safe manner at all times;
- Oversight and leadership of the Compliance Audit Team - Development of a Risk Based Audit approach, coordinate efforts to plan and execute the audit schedule and report findings for the Company facilities and waste tracking and disposal;
- Oversee general effectiveness of regulatory compliance initiatives by conducting comprehensive audits for the Company including at operational facilities and branches to verify compliance issues are fully communicated and understood by Senior Management, Operations, Compliance and Health & Safety;
- Communicate significant regulatory issues to the Chief Compliance Officer, the General Counsel, Chief Operating Officer and Chairman, as necessary. Provide follow-up and ensure that regulatory compliance is achieved in a timely manner;
- Prepare audit reports for the Chief Compliance Officer, General Counsel, Chief Operating Officer and Chairman’s review, as required;
- Recommend EHS improvement programs and solutions to regulatory challenges, based on proven successful practices;
- Implement and participate in corporate compliance initiatives; providing guidance, expertise and research when needed;
- Conduct special investigations as requested by General Counsel and/or Chief Compliance Officer;
- Support development of site specific and task specific SOPs/BMPs as needed for uniform implementation of company policies and procedures;
- Ensure appropriate regulatory guidance and clarification/interpretations of Federal, State, and Provincial regulations are provided for effective compliance coverage throughout the Company;
- Facilitate external audits of facilities; review written audit reports for submittal to corporate headquarters; assist in RFP and budget approval process;
- Prepare audit reports and maintain workpapers and related supporting documentation in accordance with professional standards;
- Maintain strategic relationships with Federal, State, Provincial, and Local regulatory agencies to provide a “corporate presence”; Understand regulators issues and concerns, and promote goodwill;
- Provide continual staff development (training, guidance, technical support) to all subordinate staff personnel to ensure they will have the tools to be effective in their positions;
- Design and implement a comprehensive compliance assurance program in accordance with Federal, State, Local, and Provincial laws and company policies and procedures.
What does it take to work for Clean Harbors?
- 10+ years with EHS Regulatory Compliance related experience including management;
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical or Physical Science Field (or relevant to the role), advanced degree preferred;
- Expert knowledge of Federal, State and Provincial regulations, including: EPA (RCRA, SARA/CERCLA, TSCA, CWA, and CAA), OSHA and DOT as well as Canadian equivalents;
- Superior personnel management, administration and communication skills;
- Computer literate and have proficient written and oral skills;
- Win Web experience preferred;
- Must be available for frequent travel (including overnight) to facilities as well as for meetings and assigned tasks;
- CHMM (Certified Hazardous Materials Manager), CEA (Certified Environmental Auditor) and OSHA certifications preferred;
- Must wear PPE (hard hats, safety glasses, steel toe boots, tyveks, respirators, etc;
- Must be able to walk, stand, climb, stoop, bend, lift;
- Requires speaking, listening, and acuity.
Wondering what to expect in starting your career with Clean Harbors? Click Here to view a Day in the Life Video!
40-years of sustainability in action. At Clean Harbors, our mission is to create a safer, cleaner environment through the treatment, recycling, and disposal of hazardous materials. Clean Harbors is the leading provider of environmental, energy and industrial services throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Everywhere industry meets environment, Clean Harbors is on-site, providing premier environmental, energy and industrial services. We are solving tough problems through innovation and proven methodology – come be part of the solution with us.
Join our safety focused team today! To learn more about our company, and to apply online for this exciting opportunity, visit us at https://careers.cleanharbors.com/.
For additional information about driver career opportunities, please call us at 1-833-32-DRIVE (1-833-32-37483).
Clean Harbors is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ancestry, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or on the basis of any other federal, state/provincial or local protected class.
Clean Harbors is a Military & Veteran friendly company.