Clean Harbors is seeking a Senior Director of Broad Based / Executive Compensation. This role will report to the Head of Total Rewards and serve as the leader of enterprise compensation, a function whose remit is key to our ability to attract and retain the best talent. The incumbent will collaborate with operational leaders to identify desired performance outcomes, and in partnership with the incentive governance committee (CFO, CHRO, COO) will advise on best practice, design, implementation, administration and governance of enterprise compensation programs, ensuring that outcomes meet current and future business needs and are consistent with internal and external market position.
The incumbent will oversee the successful execution of monthly, quarterly, and annual compensation programs, articulating program strategy and objectives, defining metrics, defining and assessing program health to ensure alignment with business objectives. In addition, leads the design, administration and communication of incentive programs. The Senior Director of Broad Based / Executive Compensation will act as a trusted advisor to the business and serve as a strategic leader within the Total Rewards team. The successful candidate will be someone who is able to seamlessly shift between strategy and execution, while rolling up their sleeves to respond quickly and with a sense of urgency. They must simplify complex pay decisions and prioritize factors that include rewarding skills that help meet future objectives, compete effectively for coveted talent, ensure pay equity, and ensure that top performers are adequately rewarded for their contribution.
Why work for Clean Harbors?
- Health and Safety is our #1 priority and we live it 3-6-5!
- Competitive wages
- Comprehensive health benefits coverage after 30 days of full-time employment
- Group 401K with company matching component
- Generous paid time off, company paid training and tuition reimbursement
- Positive and safe work environments
- Opportunities for growth and development for all the stages of your career
- Ensure that Health and Safety is the number one goal by following policies, processes, and acting in a safe manner at all times;
- Lead the design of base pay, short-term and long-term incentive programs to align with company strategy and talent strategy;
- Develop and distribute compensation related communications materials;
- Accurately interpret, counsel, communicate, and educate HRBPs, managers and staff on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretations as agreed upon with the incentive governance committee;
- Build strong rapport and alignment on compensation strategy and practices between the compensation team, incentive governance committee, executives, and cross functional partners;
- Create short/long-term retention strategies and compelling offers to secure top talent;
- Ensure appropriate level of compensation governance across supported LOBs;
- Manage market review including leading market data and best practices research, managing annual market review process;
- Help develop a high performing enterprise compensation team;
- Provide expertise regarding the strategic design, implementation, communication, and administration of the company’s compensation programs, including annual and long-term incentives, equity incentives, and executive compensation;
- Proactively review executive compensation matters and trends and recommend compensation structure and base pay adjustments; annual and long-term cash incentive plan design changes, target bonus levels, equity award guidelines, and develop budget recommendations;
- Project management skills, organization skills and strong time management skills;
- Strong organizational skills and a high level of detail orientation with proven project management capabilities including experience handling multiple key projects at a time;
- Ability to work well independently;
- Ability to think strategically in a complex, ambiguous environment;
- Highly collaborative with an ability to work across multiple organization levels, territories and partner with cross-functional teams;
- Able to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment and demonstrate a sense of urgency;
- Stays current with trends, research and best practices in human resources and compensation, and incentive plan design.
- Comp Design & Communication: Partner with the CHRO, Head of Total Rewards, Senior Leadership, and Incentive Comp Committee to develop a fully integrated Compensation Strategy. Analyze the competitiveness of compensation programs and define the roadmap required to achieve the company’s growth and productivity goals. Develop and implement a proactive Compensation communication plan to promote employee awareness, understanding, and engagement.
- Governance & Integration: Lead the development and implementation of the processes, protocols, and tools required to establish, communicate, and successfully manage compensation strategy consistently across the enterprise. Build an agile and efficient integration framework for future acquisitions.
What does it take to work for Clean Harbors?
- 10+ years of enterprise compensation strategy, design, and administration experience to include incentive compensation, broad based compensation and executive compensation plans;
- Ability to effectively lead and drive a high performing, customer-centric team in a distributed workforce model;
- Highly detail driven with emphasis on accuracy, coupled with an ability to see the bigger picture;
- Expert in formatting and presenting Compensation data, conclusions and proposals to executives and Board of Directors / Compensation Committees;
- People-centric professional – ability to communicate and interact effectively with all levels of employees, particularly executive leadership, and Board of Directors;
- Strong mathematical, analytical, quantitative, and organizational skills;
- Experience with M&A due diligence and integration of compensation programs;
- BA / BS degree or equivalent experience required; (MS / MA degree preferred);
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) preferred;
- Must be able to demonstrate a high degree of tact, discretion and sound business judgment;
- Expert level Excel or Google Sheets and Compensation Planning platforms; Experience with Peoplesoft/Oracle, Salesforce a plus;
- Ability to travel up to 15%.
Wondering what to expect in starting your career with Clean Harbors? Click Here to view a Day in the Life Video!
40-years of sustainability in action. At Clean Harbors, our mission is to create a safer, cleaner environment through the treatment, recycling, and disposal of hazardous materials. Clean Harbors is the leading provider of environmental, energy and industrial services throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Everywhere industry meets environment, Clean Harbors is on-site, providing premier environmental, energy and industrial services. We are solving tough problems through innovation and proven methodology – come be part of the solution with us.
Join our safety focused team today! To learn more about our company, and to apply online for this exciting opportunity, visit us at https://careers.cleanharbors.com/.
For additional information about driver career opportunities, please call us at 1-833-32-DRIVE (1-833-32-37483).
Clean Harbors is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ancestry, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or on the basis of any other federal, state/provincial or local protected class.
Clean Harbors is a Military & Veteran friendly company.