The Senior Director of Payroll Services will oversee both the US Payroll practices/procedures and serve as the lead person in resolving, developing, improving all payroll and timekeeping related issues. Manage and direct a team of payroll professionals in the US with primary responsibilities of ensuring compliance with all applicable federal, state and provincial wage and hour laws, including collective bargaining agreements.
Why work for Clean Harbors?
- Health and Safety is our #1 priority and we live it 3-6-5!
- Competitive wages
- Comprehensive health benefits coverage after 30 days of full-time employment
- Group 401K with company matching component
- Opportunities for growth and development for all the stages of your career
- Generous paid time off, company paid training and tuition reimbursement
- Positive and safe work environments
- Ensuring that Health and Safety is the number one priority by complying with all safe work practices, policies, and processes and acting in a safe manner at all times;
- Provide proactive leadership to a team of payroll professionals in the US and Canada in maintaining and improving payroll practices and related information management.
- Provide cross-functional leadership with Human Resources, Finance, MIS, Operations, and other departments in meeting payroll processing, timekeeping and reporting objectives.
- Ensure accurate and timely reconciliation of payroll to customer billings for services provided.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and provincial wage and hour laws, as well as collective bargaining agreements
- Lead process to track and manage customers’ prevailing wage requirements.
- Maintain open communications regarding payroll processing developments affecting employees
- Maintain relationships with payroll service providers (for example, ADP, Kronos, PeopleSoft, consultants) in driving best practices in payroll processing and reporting.
- Maintain high level understanding of best-in-class operations through benchmarking, user conferences with service providers, and continuing education.
- Maintain appropriate relationships with internal and external auditors and facilitate assistance as required.
- Identify and improve performance variances (for example, timely payroll runs, hours not entered, hours missing, time not approved, retroactive adjustments, errors, discrepancies).
- Ensure consistent compliance with all required accounting controls and polices.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the capabilities and shortcomings of existing payroll, timekeeping and worksheet processes and applications, and identify opportunities to leverage them to business operations.
- Lead the resolution of payroll, benefit payments, and payroll tax related issues
- Responsible for all year-end tax reporting related to payroll.
- Identify and implement process improvements for accuracy and efficiency of payroll operations.
- Oversee the development of production and ad-hoc reporting tools and solutions to ensure appropriate payroll information is available to our employees and managers in a timely and efficient manner.
What does it take to work for Clean Harbors?
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance or equivalent experience strongly preferred
- 10+ years payroll and/or Supervisory experience
- Certified Payroll Professional CPP or Certified Payroll Manager CPM preferred
- In depth experience with Payroll software, Excel, third party payroll systems (e.g., ADP, Pro Business), and timekeeping systems
- Experience managing prevailing wage and collective bargaining agreements as they relate to payroll and timekeeping processes.
- Ability to analyze data to draw conclusions and promote process improvements (e.g., overtime, billable rates, worksheets, fringe rates, and the like)
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Finance and People Soft HR Systems
- Excellent detail and presentation skills
40-years of sustainability in action. At Clean Harbors, our mission is to create a safer, cleaner environment through the treatment, recycling, and disposal of hazardous materials. Clean Harbors is the leading provider of environmental, energy and industrial services throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Everywhere industry meets environment, Clean Harbors is on-site, providing premier environmental, energy and industrial services. We are solving tough problems through innovation and proven methodology – come be part of the solution with us.
Join our safety focused team today! To learn more about our company, and to apply online for this exciting opportunity, visit us at https://careers.cleanharbors.com/.
Clean Harbors is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ancestry, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or on the basis of any other federal, state/provincial or local protected class.
Clean Harbors is a Military & Veteran friendly company.