The Director of Process Safety Engineering (known internally as a Director, Process Engineering) is primarily responsible for leading chemical process safety engineering efforts in our most hazardous environmental services facility locations including incinerators, recycle centers, and oil re-refineries.
This individual will ensure these locations have engineering and management systems in place to prevent catastrophic incidents. This entails ensuring appropriate engineering safeguards are in place during construction, start-up, maintenance, and continued operation of chemical recycling and incineration processes in our major facilities.
The location of this role may be flexible. All candidates should live near a major airport as they will be supporting multiple facilities.
Why work for Clean Harbors?
- Health and Safety is our #1 priority and we live it 3-6-5!
- Competitive wages
- Comprehensive health benefits coverage after 30 days of full-time employment
- Group 401K with company matching component
- Opportunities for growth and development for all the stages of your career
- Generous paid time off, company paid training and tuition reimbursement
- Positive and safe work environments
- Ensure Health and Safety is the number one goal by following policies, processes, and acting in a safe manner at all times;
- Manage and verify applicability of process safety management (PSM) program to appropriate sites or operations for all Clean Harbors facilities throughout North America;
- Lead compliance efforts concerning the OSHA Process Safety Management Standard;
- Directly supervises work of health and safety staff members at process facilities with regard to compliance with chemical process safety;
- Coordinate support for sustainable compliance on regulatory requirements;
- Assist in establishing/monitoring costs of projects -some of them with 7 figure budgets- and all expenditures related to Process Safety Management Program;
- Provide engineering, technical and managerial assistance to all Clean Harbors locations covered by the OSHA process safety management (PSM) standard;
- Participate in on-site PSM audits, incident investigations; provide meeting management tools (facilitation, minutes, etc);
- Represent corporation at interagency meetings;
- Communicate regulations/impact on PSM covered operations/personnel to all levels of employees;
- Apply North American industrial safety standards (e.g. OSHA, API, ASME);
- Provide guidance and counsel on appropriate issues related to Process Safety Management;
- Assist Operational Review Team to coordinate corporate-wide PSM efforts, recommendations; provide technical expertise;
- Stay current on regulatory issues/trends through seminars, networking, industry group participation; advise management on potential impact of proposed legislation; develop plans; arrange funding to stay in compliance with new regulations;
- Interact with customers related to highly hazardous chemical processes;
- Perform Pre-start-up Safety reviews as necessary and train employees on Process Safety Management requirements.
What does it take to work for Clean Harbors?
- B.S. in Chemical or Petroleum Engineering;
- 10+ years of engineering experience in Chemical and/or Petroleum industry;
- Ability to travel up to 50%;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to evaluate engineering systems;
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements for operating North American plants, specializing in including Process Safety Management strongly preferred;
- Requires speaking, listening, and acuity;
- Requires sitting, standing, grasping, and reaching;
- Requires walking, stooping, and crouching;
- Requires lifting, pulling, pushing, or carrying up to 10 lbs;
- Physical requirements associated with extensive travel.
Wondering what to expect in starting your career with Clean Harbors? Click Here to view a Day in the Life Video!
40-years of sustainability in action. At Clean Harbors, our mission is to create a safer, cleaner environment through the treatment, recycling, and disposal of hazardous materials. Clean Harbors is the leading provider of environmental, energy and industrial services throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Everywhere industry meets environment, Clean Harbors is on-site, providing premier environmental, energy and industrial services. We are solving tough problems through innovation and proven methodology – come be part of the solution with us.
Join our safety focused team today! To learn more about our company, and to apply online for this exciting opportunity, visit us at https://careers.cleanharbors.com/.
For additional information about driver career opportunities, please call us at 1-833-32-DRIVE (1-833-32-37483).
Clean Harbors is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ancestry, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or on the basis of any other federal, state/provincial or local protected class.
Clean Harbors is a Military & Veteran friendly company.