Clean Harbors is seeking a Communications Manager. The selected applicant will serve as the company’s lead content creator – specifically for various social media channels, company websites and the company’s internal employee portal. Created content (e.g., articles, videos, photos, posts, infographics, emails, blogs, gifs) is meant to drive greater brand awareness outside the company and an understanding and engagement with Clean Harbors’ mission, values, strategy and culture from within. This position is ideal for a person with a strong writing background – particularly those with a journalistic style – along with someone who is able to use various mediums to connect with a wide array of people on a personal level. Public relations skills or experience is a plus.
Why work for Clean Harbors?
- Health and Safety is our #1 priority and we live it 3-6-5!
- Competitive wages
- Comprehensive health benefits coverage after 30 days of full-time employment
- Group 401K with company matching component
- Generous paid time off, company paid training and tuition reimbursement
- Positive and safe work environments
- Opportunities for growth and development for all the stages of your career
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop content, including research and information gathering, writing and editing copy, creating and editing video and images, and posting content to various digital channels;
- Serve as an editor/reporter of the company’s online news site;
- Help manage three branded channels (Clean Harbors, Safety-Kleen and Performance Plus) on Facebook and Twitter, along with a LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram channel;
- Help produce various informational, safety, recruiting and company cultural videos;
- Assist in producing webinars, presentations, columns and other thought leadership pieces;
- Tell the story of the company and its culture internally and externally;
- Aid in editing and implementing solid communication strategies for materials from all corners of the company;
- Provide executive communications support by working with executives to source, draft, and place speeches, memos, emails and articles;
- Support in creating marketing materials where needed;
- Help develop public relations strategies and support targeted or broader media initiatives, as needed;
- Key attributes include: excellent story teller, creative thinker, results-oriented, idea-driven, able to see the big picture while having a keen eye for detail, go-getter, collaborative, creative, discrete, persuasive, resourceful, well-organized, confident, an initiator, flexible and enthusiastic.
What does it take to work for Clean Harbors?
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a corporate communications, journalism, public relations and/or writing related field;
- Possess journalist-quality writing skills to create articles, pitches, news releases, talking points, digital content, social media posts and executive briefing documents;
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge in leveraging both digital and non-digital channels to create communications that drive awareness, engagement and, ultimately, impact;
- Ability to know a story when you see it and create interesting content out of what may otherwise be seen as mundane;
- Capacity to create pitches and, ultimately content, independently and unprompted;
- Demonstrated social media skills. An understanding of what wins attention on social media, what has traditionally worked on social platforms, where social media is heading and what can be done differently. Knowledge of NASCAR and motorsports is a plus;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with expertise communicating effectively across both industry and general audiences;
- Ability to take complex information and translate it into simple but compelling communications and experiences; equally comfortable communicating about business trends as industry principles;
- Willingness to think outside the box and challenge the status quo;
- Strong editorial and interpersonal skills with a range of communications and project management experience;
- Proactive and flexible public relations skills;
- Ability to take a rough idea from a business stakeholder and mold it into a promising communications campaign;
- Ideas for how to reach people in non-traditional ways;
- Public relations skills for promotions, as well as crisis communication;
- A desire to make a significant impact;
- Interest in dealing with, learning about and creating interesting content for various lines of business that make up Clean Harbors;
- Skills that are preferred but not required include: Photoshop, PowerPoint, videography, video editing, photography.
40 years of sustainability in action. At Clean Harbors, our mission is to create a safer, cleaner environment through the treatment, recycling, and disposal of hazardous materials. Clean Harbors is the leading provider of environmental, energy and industrial services throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Everywhere industry meets environment, Clean Harbors is on-site, providing premier environmental, energy and industrial services. We are solving tough problems through innovation and proven methodology – come be part of the solution with us.
Join our team today! To learn more about our company, and to apply online for this exciting opportunity, visit us at https://careers.cleanharbors.com/.
Clean Harbors is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against applicants due to race, ancestry, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or on the basis of any other federal, state/provincial or local protected class.
Clean Harbors is a Military & Veteran friendly company.